The activity for today is what I like to call “Adventure Trek: A Tutor Outdoor Activity for Elementary School Children”.
Let’s face it. As a tutor, your main job is to teach and help your client improve their performance. Sometimes, especially if the client is a child in elementary school, part of the job is babysitting. Yes, it’s a fact and I know you know what I’m talking about.
So, to help you, here’s a simple outdoor activity I call The Adventure Trek.
Adventure Trek: A Tutor Outdoor Activity for Elementary School Children
Get out in the environment. Break up the monotony. Get some exercise.
This activity is good for kids in 1st grade to 4th grade.
- Sheets of Paper
- Throw Pillows
- Couch Cushions
- Old Clothes
You need to use make believe here. Remember when you were a kid and you pretended that the ground was lava? This activity is like that.
- Choose your peril – snakes, lava, whatever. Use your imagination.
- To escape danger, you and your young adventurers need to place stepping stones across the hazards. The stepping stones can include the towels, pillows, etc.
- As the kids try to get around, they can extend the path by adding more stepping stones.
- Encourage creativity by helping the kids create a story.
- Penalty: This is a bonus. If the kids fall into the lava, then make the penalty something related to the subject in which the child is being tutors. For example, if the child falls in the lava and you are tutoring them in Math, then have them do an extra couple of math problems. You get the idea.